LATE SUMMER • AUTUMN • LET'S COZY
UPCOMING ARTICLES
apartment in fall Summer is quickly coming to an end! This autumn I will be writing several stories including Autumn Reflections and in December, Grey Holiday in Bath. I start baking gingerbread on late August Saturday nights; photos of my baking including that for an upcoming autumn family get-together will be chronicled in Cozy Photos from Home. My husband and I will be having picnics at the nearby geodesic home near the Museum of Life and Science when cooler weather returns, and upcoming trips to Edison Johnson and local cemeteries will be scrapbooked here on my blog. Upcoming Sad Premonition installments will feature Elena Hoyos, Dorothy Arnold, Huguette Clark, Connie Converse, Karen Carpenter, Phyllis Hyman, Fréhel, and Tammi Terrell.

June 20, 2023

Sickness

I woke up this morning at four, my usual time, feeling more run-down than usual. The météo calls for rain all this week; I glanced at the rather ominous lightening purple morning skies while transplanting bitter sneezeweed and wild asters I had taken from our walk a few days earlier into little pots. The sneezeweed appears to be taking transplanting better than the asters. When I left for work at a quarter til six the rain had yet to begin. I checked the plants in the greenhouse over my morning coffee; it began pouring shortly thereafter. I spent the morning listening to vaporwave I had snuck in and arranging Boston ferns. By the time I finished my morning coffee break at nine-thirty I was shivering and had the chills. I suspect my general fatigue with my work schedule has weakened my immune system already compromised by the hormonal fluctuations of my perimenopause. So I left.

A pipe burst in the kitchen during the repair of our sink and flooded both our kitchen and that of our downstairs neighbor; I spent considerable time mopping up the flood with my husband. He left for work after lunch and I was finally able to sleep somewhat, over watching a documentary about Creutzfeldt-Jakob Syndrome with my dog...I'm not sure how I will feel tomorrow. I'm writing this by candleight at my desk somewhat flushed; the rain has finally stopped and the house is silent for the time being. I thought about working more on my latest short story; the draft has sat untouched for several days on my computer screen. There are so many people anticipating reading it that I almost feel guilty having writer's block for the moment; it's my first short story in twenty years.